Wednesday, November 26, 2014

A Thanksgiving Treat

Tada!  I'm your treat, I suppose.  Some of you might be disappointed by the lack of actual physical treat, but I do assure you, I am ashamed for falling off the blogging grid for so long and promise to come back and stay until *at least* Christmas.  That was a joke.  I'll stay until I either move to a different blog or until I stop painting.  I'd most likely die before I stop painting.

Did someone say painting??  Well, there's too much to catch you up on in one post.  I'm not going to recap the past 6 months (OMG has it really been 6 months?  I'm super sorry.) with a barrage of pictures and an obscenely long and desperate post.  Instead, I'll be weaning you back into my oh so exciting life of painting through shortish posts with only a few pictures.  That way, you'll slowly be brought up to date without being overwhelmed by awesomeness. 

Ok, first and last tangent.  Did you know that the life of a toy painter is not so extraordinarily exciting?  We do all the same things that other normal, awesome people do.  We cook dinner, we watch The Walking Dead, we feel burdened when it's extra super late and we realize that we need to shower.  But what I feel sets us aside from the rest of the pack (which will remain nameless because I don't *actually* know what the "rest of the pack" includes) is creative motivation.  For example: I saw a rusty structure by the side of the road one day and took a picture of it because it was a perfect representation of what rust and peeling paint should look like.  Even though I didn't use the idea (and I still haven't), I still have the picture as reference and have the ability to use it when I need it. 

Art is (sadly?) always on my mind, and sometimes it does interrupt the flow of life.  Friends and family have stood around impatiently waiting while I took a picture or wrote down a newly discovered idea.  And I've learned that unless you have artist friends (which sometimes seriously need to be taken in small doses because artsy-fartsy people can be...unique), not many people actually understand what it is to be a toy customizer.  Ultimately, this needs to be something that makes you happy and something that you enjoy because the odds of gaining infinite glory and wealth is minimum.  I'm not trying to be a Debby Downer, but I've definitely had inquiries whereupon people want to pick my brain, and if you know me at all, I'm not going to sugar coat my experiences or findings, but I will offer constructive and useful advice and feedback.

So, what has SoKo Cat been up to?  Let us start precisely where we left off.  May 2014.  Shortly after I finished painting the Godzillas, I began working on a few commission pieces for an enthusiastic fellow whose contact information in my phone reads as "Godzilla Jimmy."  He was wowed by my awesomeness at Chiller Theatre in April and needed these two pieces repainted.  The King Kong came out a bit more red than I originally intended, but I really do like how he came out.

Here are some work in progress pics! 

King Kong

Gojira

After that project was done, I patina-ed the hell out of this door for my buddy and fellow artist Nick Jodice.



 Last, but certainly not least, is the piece I submitted for SubUrban Vinyl's Blood Type Positive show: Julian Mortimer.  He has since been sold; sorry for being a tease. :P


Alrighty, nerds.  It is time for me to say good bye for now.  I will be back all too soon providing you with more updates.  If I don't see or talk to you before...tomorrow, have a Happy Thanksgiving!  Hopefully the weather isn't too much of a problem.  We're getting snow in NJ as we speak, which is throwing a monkey wrench into everyone's' commutes and holiday travel.  Ah the joys of working less than a mile from home and hosting Thanksgiving.  No travel, lots of painting sleeping cooking.

It feels good to be back.  Let's chat soon! ;)

kthxbai

No comments:

Post a Comment