Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Labor of Love

O hai.  Nice to see you again!

Hopefully everyone's weekend is going well.  I've been relaxing and trying to get my sleep schedule back on track after a week long holiday/vacation.  Now that I'm back to work, I figure it best to try to be in bed at a normal hour to be up at a reasonable time.  For the record, it's not going very well, but I expect to be back on track sometime within the next month. ^.^

That aside, today I'll be showing you a few pictures of my most recent finished projects, all using high quality acrylic paints.  I haven't found my niche quite yet, which is why you'll be seeing a fair amount of diversity in these early stages.  Soon (hopefully, lol) you'll see a pattern emerge as I settle into something that works.  Or not.  I've learned that an assortment of products and projects prevents the development of monotony and ultimately boredom.  I mean -- candy does it, so why can't I??

Moving on, my very first project was a gargoyle I found this past October at The Forest of Fear (which happened to be a very fun experience because a friend of mine knows a lot of the staff from the New York Renaissance Faire).  From the ring in the nose, I deduced it to be a baby bull...ergo the name Bullgoyle. How menacing can a purple Bullgoyle be, you ask? Well, I'll let you decide that. 

The second project is a DIY Android.  Believe it or not, I sprayed this little vinyl dude with white primer, so any green you see was added by me.  You may not be able to tell, but there are five different shades of stippled green, and three different weathering types.

The slight camo motif makes it appear somewhat militaristic, and that was my inspiration for its name (Hooah Droid).  Future projects include the Hooyah and Oorah Droid.  They'll most likely be navy blue and white/grey, respectively.  You'll undoubtedly see pictures when I start.

A pumpkin with teeth.  aka Toofkin.  Toofkin is actually called "Pumpkin Muncher," and can be found on the Kaiju Kaos website.  This resin piece really made me work.  Leaves, body, and stem were all very nicely sculpted and cast, and each have at least three colors for shading and highlighting.  It was, however, a very gratifying and enjoyable piece.  Only about 1.5" tall, it was similar to painting a miniature, which is where I started. 

Aaand then there's the Custom Space Eyeball Monster.  (Is it so obvious that I couldn't think of a clever name?)  Sculpted and cast by Ocu_Lar (Hellgnome), I was given the honor of painting this by mentor and friend Small Angry Monster who gave me invaluable advice and taught me how to use a flat brush to efficiently and effectively highlight raised areas while leaving the recesses the base coat color.  Eyes have been rimmed and washed red for a realistic eyeball appearance, and when complete, I gave it a gloss coat for that extra something something.  

A very large (even though only about 3.5" tall) project, I am extremely happy with the outcome.

FYI, if you are so inclined, these can all be found in my store.  Just to let you know, all of these pieces are one-offs.  Aside from the Droid variations, I don't foresee doing any pieces similar to these.  If you are interested in purchasing, please do so quickly before they're gone!

 Right, so thanks once again for reading.  I'll admit that this post did not wow you with the sheer awesomeness of my wit, but don't fret.  There will be plenty of time for that come this week once I have a few ten hour work days under my belt.

Alright, nerds.  Have a good one.  I'm going to heat up some leftover Chinese food and gorge, wait twenty minutes, and then gorge once again.  See you soons.


No comments:

Post a Comment